Tuesday, May 24, 2011

surprise!

back in march we took a road trip with my sister and her boyfriend to visit my parents because my mom was having some health issues. (she's fine now, praise God!) it was a complete surprise to my mom and, boy, did we surprise her. my dad was really cute, too. he's usually terrible at keeping secrets. he just can't stand the excitement and blurts things out or likes to tell others that he knows something they don't. stinker. well, this time, he did a fabulous job of not saying a thing to my mom. every time he called during our drive he would talk to me in a whisper, which, if you know my dad, is almost impossible. anyway, we left really early in the morning and arrived late at night because we didn't want to spend the night anywhere. when we got to my parents' street, i called my mom and asked how she was doing. (she had friends over and was playing mah-jong with them.) i pretended like i was at home and even had lucas say hi to her. while this was going on, everyone filed out of the car and my dad let us in. emma was the first to see my mom and she didn't recognize her because my mom had zero expectation of seeing us. it was so fun! needless to say, she was ecstatic about us visiting and we had a great time seeing her, my dad, and my grandma. here are just a few pictures of our trip. the rest are on my parents' and allan's cameras.

we were spoiled and ate a ton of awesome food that we can't find here in the tri-cities. we had a delicious chinese dinner to celebrate my mom and dad's 35th wedding anniversary, we had dim sum a couple of times, we had authentic shanghai cuisine (yum!), and we also had awesome japanese food. here we are at the japanese restaurant where emma tried sushi for the first time. she loved it!

here's my mom with a fish eyeball that she's about to devour!


we went into oakland's chinatown and i got to see my preschool! yes, i remember it. :)


this is a sad, sad picture. it's a picture of the family room of my childhood home. our old neighbors (who my parents are still friends with) told us that our old house (the house next to theirs) was raided by the police because they were growing marijuana in it. we couldn't believe it. my jaw dropped when we saw this, literally. so SAD. ugh.

3 comments:

joyce said...

so is this why you didn't go to china??? i hope your mom is better! what a great surprise for her!

i love the picture of emma eating sushi, so cute!!! and that's so cool that you saw your preschool! i didn't know you lived in oakland! and where did you get that picture of the pot farm?! it really is sad tho. :(

yolanda said...

yes, this is why! :( but, like i said, i'm just glad that my mom is fine now. yeah, we lived in oakland and then my mom was mugged so we moved into fremont. i never told you that? the gate to the back was open so we snuck in and took the picture from the bay windows, remember those?

btw, miss you!

Irene said...

Emma has an excellent and mature palate! :)