Sunday, October 30, 2011

click-clack, ding!

sometime near the beginning of last summer, i began a search to find a good, old fashioned, manual typewriter. don't ask me what it was that started me on my hunt -- actually, scratch that, i just remembered. i wanted a typewriter to type out bible verses that i am memorizing onto cards that i store in a little wooden address file. yeah. so, i started with craigslist (where i always start my searches), then went to ebay, then to the internet to do some more research, and finally back to craigslist to see what i could find now that i had a better idea of what i was looking for. this is what i ended up with ...

my hermes 3000

my favorite color is green, so naturally i really like the color of this machine (the keys, especially). i really like the shape of it. i also like that it is manual and portable so i don't need to plug it in to use it. the click-clack sounds that it makes when i type and hearing the "ding!" when it comes to the end of the margin is pretty neat. i told allan that i would type love letters to him on this thing. i've typed him a total of 1. :)

in the process of getting this typewriter, i sort of befriended the person who sold it to me. his name is michael. he took immaculate care of this machine (which i am thankful for) and gave me a bunch of tips and articles on the on-setting trend of typewriters. after i mentioned that i had sewed a cover for my typewriter, he asked if i could sew one for his and i gladly said yes. here are the before and after pictures he sent me ...

before

after (it fits!)

and here's my own cover

my lovely green hermes 3000 sits in my new office!, which i will share about another time. i will say, though, that it is a space i can call my own. and, what i appreciate about it most is that it has a door that i can close. :) more on that later!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Cute! And I love the cover.

joyce said...

haha, you were really serious about getting a typewriter! glad you found one, and nice cover!!